| Pet Care Advice By Veterinarians |

Can You Give a Dog Ibuprofen? No, Stay Away From Ibuprofen



Reviewed By: Dr. Joel Robertson

Learn more about us.

Ibuprofen is a commonly used, over-the-counter medication used to relieve pain, reduce fever, and reduce swelling.

It is a type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

While Ibuprofen can be effective in humans for relieving pain and inflammation, it should never be given to dogs, and here is why.

Can You Give a Dog Ibuprofen? No, Stay Away From Ibuprofen

Can You Give a Dog Ibuprofen No, Stay Away From Ibuprofen

No, you should not give a dog ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medication formulated for human use. Dogs metabolize medications differently than humans do, so giving dog ibuprofen can be very dangerous.

Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat pain and inflammation in humans. It is most commonly known by the brand names Advil and Motrin, but it is also sold as generic ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen works by blocking an enzyme called cyclooxygenase which helps to reduce hormones that cause inflammation in the body. When this enzyme is blocked, levels of prostaglandins are reduced which leads to a decrease in inflammation and pain.

When a dog ingests ibuprofen, the medication goes quickly into the bloodstream. Ibuprofen is then released from the liver and reabsorbed by the intestines over and over again.

Since dogs metabolize medications differently than humans and their liver is not as strong as ours, ibuprofen can cause gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and ulcers.

Even with treatment, the risk of dying from ibuprofen toxicity in dogs is serious.

(See also: Can You Give a Dog Aspirin? No, Stay Away From Aspirin)

Ibuprofen Side Effects on Dogs

The most common Ibuprofen side effects on dogs include:

  • Kidney failure
  • Increased urination
  • Increased thirst
  • Bleeding ulcers
  • Intestinal perforation
  • Seizures
  • Lack of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Black tarry stools
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy

Ibuprofen toxicity is absolutely horrendous for dogs because there is a very real risk of dying, even with treatment. It usually takes up to twelve hours for a dog to show signs of ibuprofen toxicity, and up to 24 hours for renal values to indicate renal damage. This means that the initial blood work may very well be normal.

If your dog has ingested ibuprofen, aggressive treatment is needed ASAP. This is not a wait-and-see-if-she-gets-sick scenario.

How Much Ibrupofen Is Toxic To Dogs

Ibuprofen can be toxic to dogs with as little as 25mg/kg. If you suspect that your dog has ingested ibuprofen, rush him to the ER. Ibuprofen is highly toxic and clinical signs don’t appear until it’s too late. The dog will need fluids, bloodwork right away, and another one in 48-72 hours, close monitoring, and medication.

Ibuprofen, which is a common over-the-counter pain reliever for humans, can be toxic to dogs. Ibuprofen is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), and when ingested by dogs it can cause serious health problems.

If your dog weighs less than 20 pounds, then a single 200 mg dose of ibuprofen could cause GI ulcers (including bleeding ulcers and intestinal perforation).

If your dog is larger than 20 pounds, then likely it will be alright but you shouldn’t take any chances. You should call the poison control line and take your dog to the vet. Pale gums and breathing hard are definitely a sign of ibuprofen toxicity and require an ER visit.

Ingesting even small amounts of ibuprofen can result in stomach ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst or urination, seizures, coma, and even death.

Thus it is essential to keep ibuprofen away from pets at all times. If you believe that your dog has ingested ibuprofen or any other human medication, contact your veterinarian immediately.

(See also: Can You Give a Dog Pepto Bismol? No, Stay Away From Pepto Bismol)

Will 1 Ibuprofen Hurt My Dog?

Yes, even 1 Ibuprofen can hurt your dog. The toxic dose of ibuprofen for dogs is 25mg/kg. If your dog weighs 20 kg (44 pounds), ingesting 500 mg of ibuprofen could be fatal for your dog. You should take your dog to the ER as soon as possible.

Ibuprofen is an over-the-counter pain reliever and anti-inflammatory commonly used by humans. It can be very toxic to a dog’s system, even in small doses, and may cause severe gastrointestinal upset, ulcers, kidney failure, or death.

If your dog has ingested any amount of ibuprofen, contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment advice. Never give ibuprofen (or any other medication unless specifically prescribed by your vet) to your dog without checking with your veterinarian first.

Can a Dog Recover From Eating Ibuprofen

Yes, dogs can recover from eating ibuprofen. However, this is unknown until 72 hours after the ingestion occurs. It really depends on how big your dog is and the amount of Ibuprofen it ingested. Ibuprofen can cause irreparable kidney failure in dogs and a visit to the ER is a must.

When a dog that ingested ibuprofen is brought to the ER and unable to vomit up, the vets will check the bloodwork. Usually, there will be no changes in their blood in the first 24 hours. The vets will do aggressive supportive care to try and help protect the kidneys from the damage ibuprofen can cause. After 72 hours, the vets will again do bloodwork and will have a clearer picture of what damage was done.

Treating a dog that ingested ibuprofen may involve inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal to absorb any remaining ibuprofen, providing intravenous fluids to rehydrate the pet, and prescribing medications to reduce stomach acid or coat the intestines.

Veterinarians will also monitor vital signs such as temperature, heart rate, and respiration to ensure that the dog is stable and responding positively to treatment. It is important for pet owners to keep all medications out of their pets’ reach at all times and contact a veterinarian immediately if they think their pet has ingested toxic substances like ibuprofen.

In Conclusion

Ibuprofen is toxic to dogs because their kidneys can not process this medication and as a result, it can cause kidney failure.

If your dog ingested ibuprofen with or without your knowledge, a visit to the ER is a must. Signs of ibuprofen toxicity appear when it is usually too late.

The treatment for ibuprofen toxicity will depend on how bad the situation is. The larger the dog and the smaller the dosage of Ibuprofen ingestion will not require an aggressive approach.

Please take the time and leave a comment below if this article helped you, or you have any additional questions.

Learn more about us.

Affiliate Disclaimer

As an affiliate, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. We get commissions for purchases made through links on this website from Amazon and other third parties.

Latest posts

DMCA.com Protection Status