Grapes and raisins have been known to be toxic to dogs, even in small amounts because they contain tartaric acid that can cause kidney failure. Ingestion of just a few grapes can lead to serious health degradation in dogs.
10 Signs Your Dog Ate a Grape (Grape Poisoning Symptoms)
- Increased drooling
- Foaming at the mouth
- Gastrointestinal irritation (nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea)
- Seizures and muscle spasms
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased body temperature
- Lack of appetite
- Uremic breath (ammonia odor)
- Excessive thirst
10 Signs Your Dog Ate a Grape (Grape Poisoning Symptoms)
Grape poisoning in dogs is serious and that is why it’s important to catch the signs on time.
1. Increased drooling
Increased drooling is one of the earliest signs that your dog ate a grape and has grape poisoning. The increased drooling also known as hypersalivation is a way for the dog to get rid of the toxins and prevent further ingestion.
Although some dog breeds drool more than others, you know how much your dog drools. If your pup starts drooling more than usual, there is a good chance that it is experiencing grape poisoning. It is important to keep an eye out for any unusual level of saliva production in your canine friend as it may signify that there is something wrong and he is trying to rid his body of the toxins from the grapes.
2. Foaming at the mouth
Foaming at the mouth is a sign of grape poisoning and occurs when the dog is producing more saliva to get rid of the toxin but also has difficulty breathing. Basically, foaming at the mouth is excess saliva combined with air. At this stage, it is important that you take your dog to the vet.
When dogs consume food that doesn’t sit well in their stomachs, their bodies will often react by producing an excessive amount of saliva. This can result in foaming at the mouth, as the salivary glands have become overactive and produce more saliva than normal.
If a dog is foaming at the mouth after eating grapes, it is important to take them to the vet immediately for diagnosis and treatment.
3. Gastrointestinal irritation (vomiting, and diarrhea)
Ingesting grapes always leads to gastrointestinal irritation such as vomiting and diarrhea because the body will try to get rid of the toxin. When a dog digests grapes, they release a tartaric acid that causes gastrointestinal irritation often manifested in vomiting and diarrhea. Basically, the dog’s body will try to get rid of the toxin in any way possible.
What is dangerous about grape poisoning is that the dog can be vomiting and have diarrhea for an extended period of time which leads to electrolyte imbalances. This means that the dog can get dehydrated and experience another set of serious health issues. If your dog ate grapes and is having diarrhea or vomiting for more than a day, go to the vet.
When dogs get grape poisoning they become lethargic as a side effect of the toxins present in their system. Depending on the size of the dog and the number of grapes, lethargy can set in a few hours, or a couple of days. Lethargy is often accompanied by vomiting and diarrhea.
Seeing your pup lethargic can be scary and painful. This is why it is important to take your dog to the vet if it’s been lethargic for more than a day. The vet will be able to assess the dog’s condition and determine an appropriate course of action for treatment.
5. Seizures and muscle spasms
Seizures and muscle spasms occur when the dog’s body is overwhelmed by the toxins from grapes or other bacteria present in the food. The body reacts with involuntary and uncontrolled movements from abnormal electrical activity in the brain. The seizures and muscle spasms can last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes.
Treatment for grape poisoning usually includes antibiotics and fluid therapy to help flush out the toxins from the body while restoring proper electrolyte balance. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary to prevent further health complications.
6. Difficulty breathing
A dog may experience difficulty breathing if the toxins from grapes have caused inflammation in its respiratory system. This usually occurs when the dog is left untreated for an extended period of time. This is why it is important to catch the early signs of grape poisoning which is foaming and excessive drooling.
When a dog has grape poisoning, it will try to fight it off by drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. However, without our help, their body can only fight so much. If left untreated, after a day or two, the dog’s body will be exhausted from fighting the toxins and will start to experience difficulty breathing.
7. Increased body temperature
Grape poisoning can cause dogs to experience an increase in body temperature because their bodies are working harder than normal to process the toxins. As their organs work overtime to break down and eliminate the toxins, this process releases heat which causes the body temperature to increase.
It is important to take your dog to see a veterinarian immediately if you think they have grape poisoning so they can get proper treatment. Early detection and intervention can help reduce the severity of symptoms.
8. Lack of appetite
Grape poisoning in dogs can lead to a lack of appetite due to the body’s natural reaction to resist consuming food that may be contaminated or spoiled. The symptoms of grape poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and abdominal discomfort. These symptoms can make it difficult for a dog to eat, resulting in a loss of appetite.
Additionally, grape poisoning can cause dehydration and electrolyte imbalances which can further decrease appetite. Treatment for grape poisoning usually involves a visit to the vet. They will determine the best course of action depending on the severity. This could involve IV fluids, antibiotics, and other medications that are designed to reduce nausea. Also, they can help get their digestion back on track so they regain their appetite.
9. Uremic breath (ammonia odor)
Uremic breath (ammonia odor) occurs when the dog’s bloodstream has an accumulation of toxins from grape digestion that the kidneys can’t filter out. If the dog has digested a lot of grapes, it can lead to reduced activity of the kidneys, and an ammonia odor from the mouth is one of the best tell-tale signs of this condition.
Uremia is when levels of nitrogen-containing compounds like urea and creatinine are too high in the blood because the kidneys can’t filter them out. As these toxins build up, they create a distinct smell associated with uremic breath that many owners describe as sweet or musty. Uremic breath typically occurs late in the course of kidney failure and may indicate advanced stages of the condition.
10. Excessive thirst
Dogs that have grape poisoning often are excessively thirsty due to dehydration caused by vomiting or diarrhea. Grape poisoning leads to electrolyte imbalances, which can cause increased thirst as the body attempts to restore balance.
If your dog displays signs of excessive thirst after ingestion of a suspect food item, seek medical attention right away for proper diagnosis and treatment.
How Long After Eating Grapes Will a Dog Get Sick?
In general, large dogs have a slower metabolism than smaller dogs and can take longer to get sick after eating grapes. Dogs can show signs of grape poisoning between six and sixteen hours of digestion. This of course will depend on the size of the dog and the number of grapes it ate.
Many dog owners are not aware of just how dangerous grapes can be. While they might seem like a tasty and cartoonishly cute snack, eating grapes can lead to serious short-term and long-term issues for pooches.
Ingesting grapes can cause your pup to experience abdominal pain and diarrhea, as well as vomiting, itching, and other signs of sickness. Depending on the number of grapes eaten, it could even result in severe sickness or death.
Grapes provide no nutritional benefits to dogs so it is best to keep them away from these fruits at all times. It is important for pet parents to keep all fruits out of reach from their four-legged friends.
How Long After a Dog Eats Grapes Can You Induce Vomiting?
If your dog ate grapes and you want to induce vomiting, you shouldn’t wait more than six hours after the ingestion. The grapes stay in the dogs stomach for up to six hours before being completely dissolved by the stomach acid. So, the sooner that you can induce vomiting, the better.
While there is no exact number of how many grapes can make your dog sick, it is important to monitor the situation and consult with your veterinarian because even one grape can cause serious health issues.
Induced vomiting in dogs is the intentional induction or stimulation of vomiting in a dog. It is most commonly used to remove potentially harmful substances from their stomachs, such as foreign objects they may have ingested, certain medications that were accidentally ingested, or poisons and toxins that can be fatal if not removed quickly.
Generally speaking, inducing vomiting should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian and with his/her approval.
There are several methods for inducing vomiting in dogs and it is important to understand which ones are safe to use and when. The most common method used is the administration of hydrogen peroxide by mouth; however, other methods such as administering syrup of ipecac or giving salt water orally may also be used depending on the specific situation.